May 10, 2013 - Well, okay maybe not to everyone. But, to some, dog is man’s best friend and to others (both male and female) car is “man’s” best friend. So, how do you treat your best friend?
Do you starve them to death? Do you make them eat the same old repetitive foods day after day? How about wearing the same clothes for months on end? Sound fun? Didn’t think so.
Well, it’s not fun for your car either. In case you aren’t aware, it does take a bit more than gasoline to keep a car running.
What should you do for your car to get it ready for summer? Great question. Yes, there are some very specific things you should do to make sure your car is ready for the warm temperatures ahead. By preparing your car for each season it has to endure, you are actually extending the life of this precious friend.
With the cost of car ownership going up each year, this is definitely a friend you want to be sure to take care of. So here we go…the top 5 things to do to prepare your car for summer.
1. Fluids, fluids, fluids
- Get them changed
- Keep them at appropriate levels
- 50/50 your coolant to water
- Be sure your oil is the right viscosity (thickness)
- Winter, summer, or all-season (make sure the right ones are on the car)
- Inflation – temps affect this; adjust each season at least
- Better gas mileage when correct
3. Wash and wax
- Wash away the salt of winter
- Wax in the shine of summer
- Clean the undercarriage too
- Park in the shade to protect
4. Emergency kit
- Every season replenish your kit
- Replace batteries
- Replenish any used supplies
5. Cool, Cool, Cool
- Oh yeah, did we say cool
- Check your Air Conditioner
- Coolant must be correct
- You don’t want an overheating vehicle
- You want to stay cool in the car